Skip to main content

Unschooling the Mind: An Introduction

Welcome to the first post of Unschooling the Mind series of posts. The notion of publishing a series of posts to share with you my experience in a world where education and schooling  has been lingering in my mind for a long time, but I was hindered by two main factors. The first is that my thinking and convictions, as with all people who reflect, are in a ceaseless development, so what I thought of last year and believed in might differ from what I believe now, as I gain more knowledge and endeavor to unravel truth. As Emerson once said, "Speak what you think today in hard words and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today".  Therefore, this makes it hard for me to share one thing that I might contradict in a year. I soon, however, realized that such development of the intellect is natural, and all I can do is write what I believe now in "hard words", and reflect on what I believed back then. I hope such a clarification at the outset of this series would help you understand my stance if I should mend my convictions down the road. What you will read is the essence of my thinking at this moment in my life. The second, is of course my  life commitments. Work and family have taken the major sections of my daily life. You will later know how  and why I do my best to spend a substantial time with my family (my wife and two kids) because of my convictions. On the other hand, I work really hard  smart to help those who come within the compass of my work. You will later know how I have climbed the ladder of my professional life, and how my thinking about what I do and why I am doing it has been reshaped over and over. 

What Is Unschooling the Mind Exactly about? 

By immersing you in my life experiences (as a child, an adolescent, an educator, a father, and a husband), I will take you through a voyage that tries to answer the overarching question : What education for what world? and all the sub-questions that come with it. You might feel however at the first instance that the question is answerable and if there were any challenges in education, they can be addressed. The problem is, sadly,  too ingrained in us that we do not recognize it. The main culprit,the antagonist, is the mass schooling system that all/most of you and me are a product. 

In the process, I will also use facts, studies, and insights from experts/people that might give a second dimension to the discourse. I will use anecdotes from people I know as well as from people I heard about. I will also use findings from studies in education, cognitive neuroscience, and psychology. I will use insights from educators who knew the truth and tried to change but had little impact for reasons you will know later. 

You will also note that I will walk you through my life experiences chronologically,but will halt at points to offer some insights or commentary on things I feel are important to clarify. You will detect that the discussion become longer as I draw you near my later years, in particular the last 10 years or so, when I chose teaching as my profession. This is because first, reconstructing events from memory is really hard to do if one wants to shed light on all aspects of those events, and second my experiences as an educator are more crystallized in the concept of Unschooling the Mind than before. 

How Can I Follow the Posts as They Are Published?

If you are reading this on a pc you will see that you can subscribe to this blog updates via email. Or you can simply click this link to subscribe. You will also see all posts on Unschooling the Mind on the sidebar. I will also add a special page that aggregates all posts for you convenience. 
I will publish at least one post every week.
 You are  welcome to add your comments on every post. I would love to know what you think!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

198 METHODS of Nonviolent Actions to Instill Change

In 1972, Gene Sharp produced  a brochure listing 198 methods on nonviolent actions to instill change. Since then, his methods have become a blueprint for nonviolent actions around the world. I publishing it here in the hope that this might spark done ideas for change. Practitioners of nonviolent struggle have an entire arsenal of “nonviolent weapons” at their disposal. Listed below are 198 of them, classified into three broad categories: nonviolent protest and persuasion, noncooperation (social, economic, and political), and nonviolent intervention. A description and historical examples of each can be found in volume two of The Politics of Nonviolent Action, by Gene Sharp. THE METHODS OF NONVIOLENT PROTEST AND PERSUASION Formal Statements                     1. Public Speeches                     2. Letters of opposition or support                     3. Declarations by organizations and institutions                     4. Signed public statements                     5. Declara

Hattie’s Effect Size: A pseudoscience or critics just being critics?

Hattie’s meta-mata analysis that culminated in the publication of his most influential work of Visible Learning (2009), and later updated to include more studies, has been hailed as the “holy grail” for educators and education leaders around the world. In particular, his effect size of instructional practice interventions has had the lion’s share of his work. Hattie considered that if schools set the effect size at 0 then “virtually everything works, and so we need to shift the question from “ what works in education” to “what works best in education”. Hattie’s meta-meta analysis of more than 800  meta-analyses studies comprising 50,000 studies (later included more 1500 meta-analyses) revealed that the baseline of the effect size that schools should start from is not 0 but 0.4, termed as the “hinge point”. In other words, for medium to large effect sizes on student achievement, the effect size of an instructional practice should be o.4 and above. This does not mean that we need

Here's What School Accreditation Agencies Are Getting Wrong about Technology Integration

From Jeff Peterson on the Common s "The Rise of Private International Schools" has been the hype phrase in the education "Galaxy" in recent years. Certainly, parents and their kids are opting more for international schools, with the hope that they receive a world class education (if they can afford the tuition fees anyway). However, to ensure these international schools offer what they claim, they are periodically reviewed by accreditation agencies. Typically, a school has to undergo the accreditation process starting with a self study and ending with the official accreditation evaluation team. Eventually, the team submits an exit report after their visit (which typically lasts few days) whether the school is accredited of not. But there’s on more add-on to the accreditation process that has gradually been in place for the past decade. The school accreditation agencies now, more than ever, focus on technology integration in schools, as they believe that s